Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
Magic Lantern's Dual ISO with 5DII
10 months ago

Folks at Magic Lantern have done some tremendous jobs. Finally I mastered enough courage to try their Dual ISO with their latest nightly build. They are still working on it to fine tune it. What they have done so far is quite impressive.

Test scene.

Same scene captured using Dual ISO.

Now two sets of 100% crops of shadow lifted areas. Same exposure settings used, one with and the other without Dual ISO.

Using Dual ISO in shadow lifted areas you get much less noise and no banding. So, much more easier to process. You get less resolution too, but resolution in dark areas matters less. I think, overall result is pretty close to my D600, although I haven't tested side by side (will do if you folks are interested). Aliasing and moire are some of the two issues folks at Magic Lantern are working on and they already have made excellent progress.

Some examples below. I am sure most of them didn't need Dual ISO, but I am just showing the results. In pictures with trees you will notice that you can see the branches and leaves under the surface with better clarity (not essential, but kinda cool).

I have tried this shot before with 5DII and 5DIII, the area under the arch always turns out too dark for any acceptable processing. This time it was fine using Dual ISO.

Now, some sunset shots.

Without Dual ISO.

With Dual ISO

Without Dual ISO.

With Dual ISO

As with other high DR sensors Dual ISO can't do magic, but it surely can make life much more easier if you need cleaner shadows and higher DR than what Canon sensors offer now.

I have only used it for a day and it didn't fry my camera. I didn't have any problem either. But Magic Lantern warns you that you use it at your own risk.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow