Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?
Manually focusing EF 400 F/5.6 with 1.4x teleconverter on 5D-II
6 months ago

I just bought an 1.4x II extender to use with my 400mm 5.6 L (prime) on a 5DII. The first tests are disappointing: I will have to learn to focus manually. I guess that I will improve with practice.

In the meantime, I appreciate your advice on how to do it. Here are a few questions:

- Is there a software hack (such as the Magic Lantern) that will allow the 5DII to auto-focus at F/8?

- I don’t think that a different focusing screen will help: the Eg-D only adds grid lines, and the Eg-S works only for lenses of 2.8 or more maximum aperture. Am I wrong? Is there another focusing screen?

- I am afraid of covering the electronic pins on the tele-converter with a tape that will leave residues on the pins/contacts. Is there a safe way to cover these pins so that the camera will A.focus at F/8?

Have any other advice for me? How can I improve my technique?

Many thanks,

Armando.

This was the best I could do

crop of center of previous image

crop of center of another image.

Here I did a horrible job manual focusing!!

-- hide signature --

'Heavens declare the glory of God,' and I hope my pictures will too.
www.pbase.com/arodri3

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list:Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow