Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
BruceB609
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Re: NYC in general
In reply to Ednaz, 7 months ago

Ednaz wrote:

NYC is very photographer friendly in general. A few outliers exist:

Iconic building owners have trademark and other protection on their building. One example, the Chrysler building. They don't like people making money off pictures of their property, much as many sculptors don't like people making money off of pictures of their sculpture. If you're taking pictures of it close enough to the building, their security people may come out and harass you. The likelihood of that is directly related to the sophistication of your camera. If you're shooting with a point and shoot or phone, never. If you have a Phase 1 medium format camera, almost certain. So shoot from across the street… You'll not have issues with any pictures you make unless they show up in ads without permission.

Yes. I've had security come out onto a sidewalk asking me what I'm taking pictures of if the camera was pointed toward the building entrance where I often look for reflections etc. The mentality of some of these people is really short of something. I wish I knew who was to blame for this attitude but we know a lot of the security industry reflects government enforcement attitudes that seem to judge your intention by the size or appearance of the camera... as if cell phones don't exist. For sure, this is where MFT wins over DSLRs! I bet an E-PL5 could get away with about anything, especially with a pancake. Olympus / Panasonic need to work this into their promotional strategies (should enough people really care). I purchased a chrome E-M5 just for the purpose of appearing less advanced or official and I think it's done quite well. I wish Olympus pondered that with the E-M1. So if you want maximum shooting freedom, be humble with your camera size and look like you have no idea of what your doing if there's any chance of confronting.

Tripods aren't always welcome. Many building security people will ask you to take it down and move on, as will a lot of the police officers. Again, the odds are directly related to the sophistication and size of your camera. If you're set up someplace that inconveniences anyone, you'll be asked to move on. There's a park across in Brooklyn that looks towards Manhattan that's run by the National Park Service, and they have a rule that says, if you're on a tripod, you're making images professionally and need to pay $500 for a permit and show proof of insurance etc. Idiotic, but I've had run ins with them a few times because I make and shoot pinhole cameras… which need to be on tripods. Honestly - a hand-made shoebox size (because it was made from a shoebox) pinhole camera becomes a professional camera once it gets on a tripod? Really? But they'll stand in front of your camera and wave handcuffs in your face.

Grand Central and Penn Station aren't tripod friendly at all. I remember when they were indifferent, and there were days when there'd be 10 people with tripods up on the steps. I understand the concern.

You don't really need a tripod anyway. ISO on most m4/3 is excellent up to 1600. There are window sills, newspaper boxes, car roofs, rocks, and friends who can serve as flat stable surfaces instead of a tripod. It's good to learn to look for tripod alternatives anyway, as many places in the world - historical sites, churches, rare architectural buildings, etc - have anti-tripod rules.

Yes, tripods are definitely for a planned in-out mission for me. I have wooden walking sticks with a screw thread in the end that takes small ball heads or rubber flex heads. Great way to go stealth where tripods are overload or aren't welcome.

If you're photographing bridges, tunnels, airports, train stations, in anything other than a casual way, you may well be visited by law enforcement or security as a terrorist threat. There's this fear of terrorists photographing buildings, that becomes irrational because they only seem to notice bigger sophisticated cameras. My hand-held large format film camera seems to attract security concerns but not the 100 people nearby waving an iPhone camera in the air. Terrorists shoot sheet film? Really?

Don't bring a fashion shoot, or anything looking like one. If you're taking pictures of your wife, friend, kids, neighbor, no big deal. If you've got two or three people posing for you, and particularly if you've got three or four people posing and someone holding a light or reflector, you've just crossed over into needing a commercial permit. A lot of fashion shot on the streets of NYC is therefore shot guerrilla style, at least for lower end publications without much budget.

Some people do not want their pictures taken. So don't. If you're taking pictures of scenes with multiple people in them, they'll duck or turn their back or whatever, and since you're shooting the scene, that's all they'll do. If you're taking a picture of THEM, one person not a crowd, they may be more vocal and forceful in expressing their opinion. I've found that a lot of wonderful faces in Chinatown, for example do not want to be photographed. So, if they act like they don't want to be photographed, don't photograph them.

Anywhere I go, I always make eye contact with someone I want to photograph to give them a chance to agree or not. 95% of people don't care. That moment of eye contact may make them less photogenic for a minute or two but then they'll forget about you and you'll get to shoot as much as you want. Sometimes I don't want my picture taken…

In NYC, by and large your camera will be ignored. If it's not, respect the concern and move on, there's a lot of spectacular photographs out there. It's not worth being disrespectful to get any photograph.

Since I've been shooting NYC over the last twenty years, it appears that New Yorkers are generally oblivious to less expensive /amateur cameras and lenses, even if pointed at them. They're oblivious to about anything because they see it all the time. This is one of the attributes that makes the city so photogenic. I've had a few  people react. I just point my finger at something behind them. Works every time.

Still, this is a really important consideration for my street photography and where MFT has really helped, especially with pancakes, a small kit lens or smaller primes. Besides being far more comfortable to carry around, it's obviously less intimidating. The more expensive or advanced the camera appears, the less opportunity. No doubt. Twenty years of learning that one!

-- hide signature --

BruceWB

BruceB609's gear list:BruceB609's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow