Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nostatic
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
A7(r) jpg why?
5 months ago

Not trolling - I'm trying to understand why there is so much discussion about the jpg engine/quality on the A7(r). What are the conditions that would lead someone to shoot jpg with these cameras? To me one of the main points of going FF (and I have A7r and RX1r, along with 6D as well as GH3) is to have files that you can work with to get usable final images, often under bad conditions. I'm assuming that someone who invests into these systems would also have software for cataloging and conversation (LR, Aperture, C1, etc), and large SD cards are relatively cheap now. The workflow shooting raw is essentially no different for me than shooting jpg.

So why even shoot jpg? I get it with Fujis due to some of the issues with raw conversion and their film modes. But I don't get it with these Sonys or for that matter 6D/5D3/800/etc, but maybe I'm missing something.

Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow