Central Park Photography rules

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
BruceB609
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: March dreary, April better
In reply to local novice, 10 months ago

Thanks for all the advice. Were your Brooklyn Bridge pics hand held? Have been to NYC a long time ago and took the standard bus tours. We are determined to explore by foot this time and have deliberately booked a hotel close to the Brooklyn Bridge to get early morning and evening pics. What do you think about safety on the bride and on the Brookyn end during these hours?

Yes, I got away with hand held but I should have used a monopod. It could have given me a larger print without noticing noise or blur. Still, it was good enough for the mission.

I wouldn't recommend bus tours. Unless you have a P&S, it's hard to shoot over or through the bus railing and if you want to get any higher, they'll ask you to sit down. Not worth it unless you held your camera high in desperate hope to get a shot and went shotgun on continuous AE /AF. That's not for me though luck can happen, possibly.

I think the Brooklyn Br. is safer than most places. If anyone had any malicious intention, the length of the walkway could be a problem for them. There are usually quite a few people up there, especially on weekends, all the way through midnight and it's well lit. There's rarely a moment that you don't see people walking across. There was one time though, during a blizzard on a Sunday morning years ago. At least, there were two people up there! One of them with a SLR and 90mm lens. It was the coldest day of my life and I could hardly feel the camera. So glad I had someone else on the bridge, I bet they were twice the size when I first framed the shot and attempted to push the shutter release. The problem was, it was so cold, I couldn't feel where it was before capturing this.

All the noise effect was the film grain plus snow and I was shooting into the blizzard. Still, a great experience to remember. No rush to do it again. I also had a digital camera. It wouldn't turn on.

film scan / Leica R-6 w/ 90mm

-- hide signature --

BruceWB

BruceB609's gear list:BruceB609's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow