Most of us are choosing less Megapixels but still hounded by MegaPixel Police!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759Gear list
Like?
Re: I made a few mistakes. I will own it and clarify.
In reply to quadrox, 10 months ago

quadrox wrote:

I hope you didn't find my previous too brutal, I will try to be more pedagogical in this one.

1) Hardly anyone will deny that high-quality low-MP cameras exist. But all other combinations also exist (low-quality low-MP, high-quality high-MP, low-quality high-MP), therefore the existence of high-quality low-MP cameras does not in any way allow us to conclude anything useful. Your argument is relying on the two great fallacies - generalizing from some examples to all examples, as well as overlooking alternative explanations.

2) Just because a lot (even most) of enthusiasts are asking for less MP (and perhaps even getting it), that doesn't mean that they have any clue as to what they are talking about. I used to be one of those people who would compare a 10 MP image to a 18 MP image at 100% and complain about inferior quality. Then I got educated on my errors on these forums, and I am grateful for that.

If you compare a 10MP image at 100% with a 18MP image at 100%, the 18MP image will be almost twice as enlarged as the other. It is an unfair comparsion, you must compare at the same level of enlargement instead, and here the 18MP image clearly wins. I don't know if you are making that particular error when comparing cameras, but I am convinced that the majority of enthusiasts is doing it.

3) I am not saying that more MP is always a good idea - depending on sensor design and lens quality you can reach a point where you are receiving no discernible benefit from the additional pixels. But in reality, most (many?) cameras are not there yet, and in general more MP yields a better image.

I think you may be thinking I am arguing a different point. I agree with everything you said, but your assuming I haven't already figured that out. (And thats part of what I am complaint about) I was not arguing gear. Most of the time these talks come up when people are asking for something new and it is all fantasy anyway. And every time the megapixel police want to come in with math and explain why a camera cant go from 12-14 for example without the world falling apart. I am saying "the police who think they know" dont always know. That is all I am saying.

I am telling the people who want to explain something in a condescending way about megapixels to others should first find out if the person already may know that. And if you that person really is as astute as they claim, my they be able to figure out by someones camera choices that they may already see the value in what you were about to lecture them on. I am saying do 2 seconds of detective work and if the person has a gear, gallery, website posted that makes it pretty obvious they have been around the block, maybe they could adjust their comments that way and make the conversation more productive. But most of the time people want to throw in their zingers about how people don't understand megapixels and snicker at their screen.

I think in this case "maybe from me not explaining very well " or "you not understanding how all this looks from my perspective" you have assumed I dont know something. And I think all of these conversations on this board would be more productive if we quit making assumptions.  But then again I made some bad assumptions myself.  But the mega pixel police I am talking about will never try to see your side.  They just want to tell you what they know.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow