African safari D800E backup: anything better than D610?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Re: African safari D800E backup: anything better than D610?
In reply to Dean Baird, 6 months ago

I took a D800 and a D800e to Kenya and had no problems.  Each camera had a different lens attached so I rarely needed to change lenses.  I kept the cameras covered with a towel at all times when they weren't in use  and made sure nothing fell.   The more experienced photographers left the gear they weren't using on the floor sitting on bean bags to protect their gear  but there were only 2 people per van so there was lots of room.   It was nice to go back and forth quickly between the two identical cameras.    I found that I was often shooting in low light at high ISO's so whatever body you rent it is important for it to do well at higher ISO's.

I absolutely loved Kenya and can't wait to get back some day.  Have a great trip.

Marsha

Dean Baird wrote:

Thom Hogan says the D800 comes off as fragile in the field (especially on safari). I don't know what--if any--reputation the D610 has getting knocked around. Same size battery is a plus.

I plan to rent a second body for the trip. Not looking for the bulk of a D4.

Am I missing any standouts for a backup body contender?

-- hide signature --
 mfouks's gear list:mfouks's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow