New Series: Weekly Portrait thread 1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dutchpepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?
Re: New Series: Weekly Portrait thread 1
In reply to davewilliams000, 7 months ago

davewilliams000 wrote:

I've just bought a Metz 44 AF-1 for my a58. Any tips? Did you have the flash on camera for those and/or were you bouncing it off the ceiling?

I will be trying to get some nice shots at my Niece's first birthday party at the end of this week.

Hi Dave, #1 I had the flash place behind the subject to get the nice light in her hair. and had a Diffuser on the pop up flash to soften the flash like this one Flash Diffuser it was a bit fiddly to get on but once worked out it really works well for wireless flash. But I don't know if it will fit the a58 but I've even used a bit of white paper and it works fine.

#2 Flash on camera but pointing backwards over my shoulder and reflecting off a white door giving a softer light onto the subject (I really like doing this)

#3 flash was on camera with a mini softbox like this Softbox

#4 I had the flash off to the left and diffuser on pop-up flash.

I also got myself one of these Metz Diffuser really handy

These things are all great if you don't have a good ceiling or wall to bounce off and they don't cost to much

Hope this helps, I'm still learning as well so if you come up with some great ideas let me know.

One thing about the flash it doesn't do HSS, but I've just manged to find myself a "good as new" Sony HVL-F36AM for 65 euro so now I can play around with 2 off camera flashes!

Craig

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

Dutchpepper's gear list:Dutchpepper's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Tamron AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow