Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005Gear list
Like?
Re: GREAT fashion photography!
In reply to Benjamin Kanarek, 5 months ago

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Amazing work!.... most encouraging and inviting! Do you have any words of wisdom when it comes to using the 24-120? (I have one too....:) Thanks so much.

-- hide signature --

Honestly, not really. I use it in studio at optimal aperture and with flash. It can be brutally sharp even at 120mm. But then again, the perceived sharpness due to the contrast of the flash light and optimum aperture sure help a lot.

Nonetheless, I really think that those who are crapping on this lens never really used it. Perhaps a few snaps and some heavy duty pixel peeping at 100-200 percent.

First, great work and congrats!

There have been a lot of threads on this lens recently, and I'm not sure I would agree that people are crapping on it as much as they are trying to put it into perspective.

My POV is that anyone considering this lens, and looking at what you did with one, should consider where and how you used it. That is in controlled lighting, using optimal apertures and shutter speed, a posed subject, in the hands of a professional.

I'll bet if, when putting on the 24-120 at the beginning of the shoot, it slipped out of your hands and smashed on the floor, you would have reached into your bag, selected another option, made some adjustments, and went on with the shoot.  And even if that option was a 24-85 VR, you would have ended up with perhaps slightly different, but equally great, results because of your skills as professional photographer.

But if I want a lens to take pictures of my kids running around at indoor family gatherings, or dancers on stage in low light, or indoor junior high school sports, simply buying a 24-120 does not mean my pictures are going to look like your Elle spread.

I think that's why there are negative posts on this lens, and is probably the same reason for many of the negative posts on any lens for that matter: the lens did not suit the conditions under which it was used, or the user did not make adjustments that would have improved the conditions relative to what the lens can and cannot do.

In your posts and comments in this spread, you have clearly stated, as you did above as well, how you are using this lens, so I'm not suggesting you are creating a misunderstanding.

I just wanted to point out that when others, myself included, point out in other threads the strengths and weaknesses of this lens, we're not crapping on it, but rather trying to help others find the best lens for their needs, based on what they say they want to use it for.

A lot of people have a "you gotta get this lens" and "anyone who says anything different is wrong" attitude, especially it seems on this lens.  My POV is that its a great lens for the right purposes, and at $1,300 its worth making sure this leans and someones stated purposes are aligned.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow