Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Diffraction Limit Discussion Continuation
In reply to Anders W, 6 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

I said that at low resolutions it's more of a plateau that a peak, so you effectively get the same resolution at smaller apertures.

No you didn't say that. You said the peak would occur at different apertures depending on sensor resolution (just as Cambridge in Colour). Do you want me to look up the specific posts for you?

Don't think Cambridge in Colour says that. As I read it he's talking about the point at which diffraction will start to become clearly visible at 100% view (with a good lens).

"Most will find that the f-stop given in the "diffraction limits extinction resolution" field tends to correlate well with the f-stop values where one first starts to see fine detail being softened. All other pages of this website therefore use this as the criterion for determining the diffraction-limited aperture."

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography-2.htm

The calculator says f/7.3 for a 16mp mFT camera and f/4.9 for a 36mp mFT camera. Sounds guite reasonable to me, as a (rather gross) rule of thumb.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow