Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,638Gear list
Like?
What quality was you getting with film
In reply to Inky22, 5 months ago

Inky22 wrote:

Greetings,

I'm the OP and first off I want to thank everyone for their input. I was hoping I could stir the pot a bit with this topic and I'm not at all disappointed. I did not mention in my original post that this camera and lens are new to me.

I used to do a lot of film photography,

It's been some time since I used film but even 400 ASA (ISO) was not that great.. your shutter/aperture setting would have been very lim ited with that wouldn't it..

I find even 1600 (on my D7000 better than 400 film ever was.. Even B&W.

We have more choice than ever now.. Don't have to change films half way through

but then everything pretty much switch to digital and I was pretty disappointed with the results unless I wanted to spend a gazillion dollars. But now that DSLR have come down so much in price it was time to jump back in. So I'm currently on a pretty steep learning curve and it's nice to have this group of advisers.

Today I set up a test for ISO, shooting the same subject using a tripod starting at ISO 100 and stepping up to about ISO 2000. The subject had both smooth and textured surfaces. From this test and from what others have said and shown in this thread I'd have to say I can expand my tolerance for noise and IQ quite a bit, and rely on Lightroom to help me out. One thing I did notice is that noise is much easier to detect and more bothersome the smoother the surface is, so the details of a birds feathers suffers much less than say a stalk of bamboo that he might be perched on. That being said, there is a point where the loss of detail in the feathers is not tolerable, I just haven't quite determined just where that point is for me. Right now I'm thinking it's around 800, though I have to say I was very impressed with the detail of the blackbird that one of the respondents shared. I live near a wetlands that I visit daily to learn my camera and to dial in my tolerances, so I think I'll just set the ISO at 800 for a few days and see what I get.

Thanks again to you all,

Ken

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow