unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Marketing Hyperbole
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 8 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Not B&W resolution charts.

Odd, but my B/W versions of my Sigma photos have the same detail as the color ones. How do you explain that?

What's odd is this statement is a non-sequitor -- it has nothing to do with the conditions where mosaic sensors can essentially hit maximum resolution.

You mentioned "b/w resolution charts" and I told you that the images look just a sharp whether in b/w or color. What exactly is the end user missing in that statement?

It's fair to say that when the average consumer hears that a camera has more resolution they are also thinking about more detail.

For the types of shots they actually take.

LOL. What the heck do you think people are planning to do with their cameras?

Use them indoors and out, mostly for casual and candid photos of family and friends.

Well, there you go. Can you reconcile that with what you previous said, which for some reason you chose to edit out of the conversation?

Above is the full context. What's to reconcile? Consumers expect that "more detail" will apply to all of the photos they take, not just a few circumstances.

They are your words. I asked you what you think people buy cameras for after your strange comment "for the types of shots they actually take."

Then we don't need to keep it simple - there is no single number that will rank image quality. For similar systems, MP has a decent correlation with detail but that's it.

MP has no "decent correlation with detail." A 15MP Foveon image has far more detail than a 15MP Bayer image.

Sigh:

1. You left out "for similar systems". X3-based cameras are not similar for most people.

Why would you leave out Foveon based Sigmas? That's what the topic is about.

1. Even if you include X3 systems, those few outliers does not invalidate the correlation when it applies to the vast majority of data points.

What "outliers," what "correlation," and what "data points?" You're not making yourself clear on what it is you are trying to talk about.

Sigh. Do you even know anything about the cameras being discussed?

Where I joined the discussion was the statement "Is it fair to call a 15MP Bayer sensor camera 15MP when much of the color is interpolated?" Can I help it that you forgot what your were saying?

Sigh. The camera being discussed is only effective at ISO 100-400. Those ISOs are logically the only ones that can be compared.

What does that have to do with the "fairness" of MP counts? If we go back to the "average consumer" above, are they only interested in detail at ISO 100-400?

The topic is about Sigma cameras, not about the "'average consumer.'" If a person is buying a Sigma camera ISO 100-400 is the reasonable effective ISO range, and perhaps up to 1600 for b/w.

Above where?

Just a few lines up.

Like I said, you are not making yourself clear on what it is you are trying to talk about.

You are editing up the conversation so your previous comments can't be viewed.

Huh? They can be still be viewed - they are still in the thread just a click or two away.

Negtaive. The purpose of replying with previous comments/posts included is to make communication and conversations flow much easier. I am not going to go back into the thread looking for what you said, or even what I said, to try figure out what you are talking about now. That's a very unreasonable thing to expect from someone you are conversing with.

It also takes someone time to edit out previous posts when you choose to comment with quotes. Why you would choose to do that makes even less sense.

Once again, I never said "MP is a measure of resolution." Read more carefully what I write.

Since you have such a short attention span,

Sorry to break it to you but our discussion doesn't rank so highly in importance to me that I should remember what you, a stranger on the Internet,  said to me a day ago, nevermind even a few minutes ago. If you want people to follow what you are saying then stop actively editing out the previous comments.

you wrote: "Is it fair to call a 15MP Bayer sensor camera 15MP when much of the color is interpolated?" What did you mean by the second use of "15MP" if not resolution? How carefully do I need to read this?

Quote that part of the conversation and I'll answer you. I'm not going back into the discussion to try and figure what was being discussed. Stop editing out previous posts from the conversation.

even though you are the one that brought up what the "average consumer" might think. "Those who care more" will arrange to shoot with the various cameras and make up their own minds and not depend on marketing claims from either side.

Now it's clear why you are editing out the previous conversation, so you can dishonestly misrepresent what I have said.

All of the previous postings are intact - if I were to misrepresent anything, editing would not help.

For the last time, I am not going to go back into the thread to try and figure out who said what. Stop editing replies with comments. The existing structure of that function exists for a very obvious reason.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow