why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
Re: why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex
In reply to clearzoom, 10 months ago

I don't miss the OVF at all!

First of all, the OVF is just a prism over a ground glass screen. You talk like it was a purely optical system - it's not.

The EVF shows you precisely what the sensor saw without your eye ever leaving the finder. While you are chimping at the LCD and missing shots because you can't see it very well in sunlight, those of us with EVFs KNOW what we got - because we see it.

And not just in bright sunlight. The light amplification effect of Sony EVFs is so great it gives you cat-like vision. There are times when I look at the selected shutter speed in the EVF -and see it's nearly a full second - WOW - you couldn't even see the scene in an OVF.

And as someone else noted, you can't shoot video with an OVF. I have a loupe hood to convert my D7000's LCD into a crude EVF for eye-level shooting - but it can't hold a candle to my NEX-6 or A7 EVF.

I don't understand your lament for a OVF. Nikon makes cameras with OVFs. So does Canon. Buy one of them. You want a mirrorless camera but with a mirror?

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow