African safari D800E backup: anything better than D610?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dean Baird
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
Re: African safari D800E backup: anything better than D610?
In reply to Devendra, 10 months ago

Thanks for the practical info, Devendra. Great shots!

Here's the note where Thom drills deep in his assessment of D800 structural fragility:

http://www.bythom.com/photographic-travel/africa/botswana-2013-workshop-blog/

"I need to repeat something I've written elsewhere about D800's: don't drop them. Ever. The number of "beyond repair" D800's I know about continues to grow every week. Personally, I regard this a design fault—especially on a camera regarded as "pro" by its maker. What happens is this: if the camera falls and any strong pressure is put on the lens mount, the rear of the metal alloy frame breaks just in front of the rear LCD. The frame can apparently also crack if impact stress is put on it from the back or edges of the camera. Unfortunately, this cracking of the chassis then makes "alignment" impossible. The frame would have to be replaced, and to replace a frame means complete (and I mean complete) disassembly and reassembly, which Nikon won't undertake because it is not financially viable. You're better off buying a new camera when that happens to you."

-- hide signature --
 Dean Baird's gear list:Dean Baird's gear list
Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow