Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ktwse
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
Back to Pentax, went on a safari
5 months ago

A couple of years ago, I owned a K-7 with a few limiteds and the DA* 60-250. I really loved the lenses and the ergonomics of the camera, but ended up replacing it with a 5D mkII, which later on was replaced by various mirrorless alternatives in an effort to bring down overall bulk (my back can't take carrying tons of photo gear). I experimented a lot but never found a camera I truly enjoyed. For a safari this year, I decided to go for a DSLR once again, and when I got a good deal on a K-5 II with the two kit zooms, it was an easy decision.

People told me 300 mm equivalent would be enough, but I wasn't convinced and when a good deal on the lowly 55-300 appeared, I picked it up immediately.

Went to Tanzania with the K-5 II, the 18-55 WR and the 55-300 to spend four nights in Ruaha National Park and then a week in Mafia Island. We did a lot of diving on Mafia, and for the first time in seven years, I didn't bring an underwater setup so no shots from there. As for the shots in Ruaha, the 55-300 truly delivered. For the price, it's a stunning lens, especially when paired with such a great camera as the K-5. Sure, it hunts, and for optimal sharpness, I mostly used it at f/8 to f/11, but given its limitations, it is an EXCELLENT lens.

All of these were taken with the 55-300, only the first one has been cropped. Only PP is slight increase to sharpness and minor curve adjustments.

???

Elephant Eyes

Savannah

Impalas

Baobab Landscape

Hunting Cheetahs

The Female

The Male

The entire set can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktwse/sets/72157641323473345/

Having struggled for a few years to get the bulk down, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll stick with the K-5 II, add a couple of limiteds (DA 21 and DA 70), and then simply continue to pick up and use excellent and cheap lenses like the 55-300 as deals come along, which can then be used when needed.

Tom

ktwse's gear list:ktwse's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR
Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow