Why 'more or less stopped using ISO'?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
crames
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: Maybe this will help.
In reply to Iliah Borg, 5 months ago

Again, absolute and subjective are incompatible. Second, in his classic example Mark substituted brightness with a comparative.

Again, it should be clear that the term "absolute" is used to distinguish from the case where brightness is normalized to the range of 0 to 100 when compared to white. In other words:

Absolute = "not normalized."

I do not see you using the term brightness alone here, you rather used "perception of brightness". Sensors do not perceive. All of this is not adequate if we are talking of the measurements which is how the sensors function.

What?????

Here you are apparently confused about who you are addressing, since I've made no claim that sensors perceive!

More luminance leads to a perception of more brightness.

Adaptation does not happen here? Ummmm.

Adaptation changes the shape of the luminance-brightness curve, but doesn't change the ordering of brightnesses. At a state of adaptation, higher luminance produces perception of higher brightness. (Above a minimum perceptual increment and below total saturation of the photopigments.)

It doesn't mean that someone can look at a patch of color and tell you what its exact, absolute luminance value is (although someone might have that ability, like perfect pitch.)

Perfect pitch is quite often not that perfect, it usually is rounding to 1/4 or 1/8 of optimized fixed perceptional scale, as a result of trained memory. Changing the scale throughs it off.

Perception is fundamentally a comparison, such is the nature of perception. No need to attempt to make it absolute, it leads nowhere.

Right. And you can compare the brightness at one "absolute" (not-normalized) luminance to brightness at another "absolute" (not-normalized) luminance.

Really, Iliah, I didn't make the CIE definitions! Why don't you ask them to let you rewrite them?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow