Most of us are choosing less Megapixels but still hounded by MegaPixel Police!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Most of us are choosing less Megapixels but still hounded by MegaPixel Police!
In reply to ludwik123, 8 months ago

ludwik123 wrote:

I blame Sony for the megapixel madness.

My HX50 has 20 squashed in a tiny sensor. When I pixel peep.

I see mush and artifacts. When I downsize to 8 mega most of the mush and artifacts dissappear. Almost all the image detail remains. So why make 20 megapixel tiny BSI CMOS sensors?

Sadly, it's because people still equate numbers to some sort of goodness factor.  Assume for a minute that you're not a car expert, if you see 2 spec sheets about 2 cars and one of them has 20% more horsepower and torque, you'll automatically assume that the car with the more power is going to be faster.  (Or at least many people would)  People tend to do the same things with cameras.  They can't see all the factors that make a good image, they can however see a number on a piece of paper and think: "oh, 20 is more than 16, that's got to be better" without even looking at a single image out of the camera to see if it's true or not.

It's just a sales and marketing gimmick.

Partially, it's also peoples fault for not researching carefully enough too.  Marketing and sales have their jobs to do, consumers who want better products need to do their own research and comparisons.

But to survive, a company has to sell!

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow