Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,062Gear list
Like?
Wifi controls
In reply to Henry Richardson, 6 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9000705957/eye-fi-mobi-wi-fi-sd-card-review

It depends on what you want a wi-fi interface to do.

If you just want to wirelessly transmit photos to your phone or base-station, then that card should work.

If however, you want to control your camera from your smart phone, then that card will not work. I can sympathize with the OP, but Olympus would argue that they released the new tech in the E-M1, E-M10, Stylus-1, and originally in a reduced state in the E-P5 (but the new firmware release just brough the E-P5 up to par). I just picked up a Stylus-1, and tried it out. On the Stylus-1, you could zoom in/out, but you wouldn't be able to do that with the OM-D, unless you buy the new power zoom lens. I'm sure that sooner or later, the EM-5 will be replaced, and the successor will have wifi support.

I only used the control for a few minutes, but it did seem to suffer from lag in sending back the video, and the operating distance was quite short. It would be useful for a pole camera where you put the camera on a pole to raise it up over a crowd, and then use the smartphone to verify where the camera is pointing, and fire the shot. The touch focus support that is in the Stylus1 (and recent Pen/OM-D) can be used on the phone, and that is useful. However, with the range being quite short, it isn't as useful if the camera is some distance away from you.

If all you need to do is fire the camera at a distance, there are several radio based shutter releases that emulate the RM-UC1 that can be bought.

There is also the Gigtube DSLR wireless viewfinder that combines a wireless monitor with a shutter release. It isn't as useful as the wifi interface, since the only control is fire, but on the other hand, the Gigtube claims to have a range of 100m: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190656992783?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow