Forum ProPosts: 29,858
Like?
Re: Diffraction Limit Discussion Continuation
In reply to Jonny Boyd, 7 months ago

Jonny Boyd wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

I think that the semantic argument that this discussion tends to end up in (maybe when the 'peak aperture shifts' people realise that they are wrong) is missing the point of the misinformation and damage to practice that this meme causes. Whatever they wish to decide that they really meant in this abstruse semantic discussion, there are many photographers who look at sites such as CiC, and posts here inspired by it, and end up believing that a low pixel count camera will give them sharper results at small apertures than will a high pixel count camera (absurdities like 'D800 unusable above f/5.6'). While I'm quite prepared to believe that wasn't what they really meant, I'd be more impressed had they made that point in the original posts where they claimed there was a 'diffraction limit'.

I don't recall anyone saying that a low pixel count camera will be sharper than a high res camera (if by sharpness you mean overall image detail).

maybe that hasn't been said explicitly (can't be bothered to go through the whole thread to search) but undoubtedly that is how this bogus 'diffraction limit' gets understood.

The diffraction limit exists, it's just not well understood.

In fact I recall plenty of instances where people have affirmed that although diffraction is visible earlier in high pixel count cameras, they still have more overall detail than a low pixel count camera. What you're saying sounds more like misinformation by suggesting that anyone is making that claim.

I'm basing on what I see understood by it. If we all agree that you still get more detail, what is the point of worrying about this 'diffraction limit' at all?

I don't worry about it personally. But someone asked a question and I found it interesting to think and write about.

It is a genuine concern for those working with telescopes and microscopes more so than ordinary photographers.

But that is a very different 'diffraction limit'. It's not the one that's being talked about here.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow