D700 amateur user wonders why D4s has no built in flash

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796Gear list
Like?
Choices
In reply to KennethKwok, 8 months ago

Many D4/D3/D2/F6 shooters are professionals, with widely varying flash needs. Sports/action shooters may not use flash at all. Others may use only radio-triggered flash. These shooters will not have a use for a low-powered pop-up flash, so it may as well not be present, adding cost, complexity, and fragility. Professionals who do use I-TTL flash will probably be using top-tier Speedlights, and may or may not desire a pop-up flash option.

My wife certainly has little need for pop-up flash, unless her SB-800 fails, though she has no desire to carry the weight of a pro FX camera, when APS-C cameras are the norm for forensic photography. (She uses a D7000.)

I do not caim to be a "pro" photographer, but evidentiary photography is part of my job. Of the two lenses I use the most, one blocks much of the light if I use the pop-up flash, so a taller shoe-mount flash is necessary. Since I have top-tier flashguns, anyway, I almost never use the pop-up flash, simply due to the quality of light I want on my subjects.

The number of pre-owned cameras I have seen, with damaged pop-up flash, indicates this is, indeed, a weak point. I believe most shoe-mount flashguns are engineered to break at the foot, upon impact, preserving the flash shoe and camera body.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow