why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,773
Like?
Re: why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex
In reply to clearzoom, 8 months ago

clearzoom wrote:

I want to make sure am I the only one or others feel way using Mirror less?

EVF is a funny technology. If you look at digital versus film, most people made the transition and never really missed film. A few are nostalgic, some still use it, many are happy to be rid of it, but most just transitioned over and never looked back.

With EVF versus OVF, I think it's much more of a compromise and once you've used both, you see the benefits in each. Personally, I don't care for looking at an EVF. I've tried EVFs from the Sony A33 to the NEX-6 and NEX-7, the Olympus EM1, the Fuji XE1, the Sony A7, and I find them disconcerting, ignoring any issues of lag, "night blindness", dynamic range, etc.

But they bring with them the technical benefits of mirrorless (AF accuracy, lack of shutter vibration & noise) as well as live view (previsualization of exposure, white balance) and on-screen displays (the feature I miss most is the level). When I switched from Sony to Nikon after trying the A77 2+ years ago, it wasn't because of the EVF. I do prefer the OVF in a DSLR, but would have been content with the EVF. I expect that at some point in the future, I will be using a Nikon F mount camera with an EVF.

Lot of folks seem to love Nex6, 7, A7, A7R and dont miss the OVF?

I'm sure that's true; lots don't miss the OVF. And I'm sure many will miss it, but decide that it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow