Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726
Like?
Re: thanks for the feedbacks
In reply to Sebks, 10 months ago

Sebks wrote:

Hi Doss,

Thanks for the kind comment. You raise an interesting question regarding paying for a picture.

My position is to kindly ask before taking it. Most of the time they ("real" holy men) will just accept, and in some cases they will ask for a few rupees.

If they ask I always give them a small amount (between 20 to 100 rupees), depending on what I have in my pocket at the moment.

I find it absolutely normal to do so because:

- They're giving me fun by letting me take their pics, fair enough if they can get a good diner in exchange.

Perhaps, then give them a good dinner in exchange!

- I'm making in one month much more than they will in one year, and as a tourist I have to contribute to the local cash inflows.

What if you contribute more to those who beg for a living rather than work? What if you knew some 'holy men' make much more in one month from begging than some dalits make in a year from hard work?

Why would it make me uncomfortable?

Me uncomfortable, not you! I have seen many extremes of photographer/tourist:begger/holyman interactions. Good and bad. I don't know you to judge.

Sharon Stone and Justin Bieber get cash as well for their pictures

a handful of rupees?

Best regards,
Seb

Thanks Seb, respect your opinion and view.

Just some food for thought to your comments above. If you wish then I'll happily debate further, but I don't want to highjack your thread with a moral debate on the pro's & cons or  imply you have not considered these things already. If I can judge you by your photos I'd say you are a savvy traveler. I'd guess you are at ease with your subjects, you obviously engage and I would presume you also give them a smile & respect (which IS the truest of payments).

To reiterate: I look forward to seeing more of your work

Cheers, Doss

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow