ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,571Gear list
Like?
OM-D E-M1 Weather Sealing and Repair Service
7 months ago

Service:

I already related my experience with the E-M1, where after a several hour session in that "Polar Vortex" event of a snowstorm the lever near the AEL button stopped working in position #2 (at first intermittent, then fully).

I wrote to Oly service, and Miguel responded that the issue was the first he's heard of, and he called me to discuss it.   The result was being provided with instructions to take it to a UPS store to have it shipped back to them, at no cost to me.   I took a few weeks to send it off (it was perfectly usable otherwise), but finally did the deed last Friday.

Monday past was a holiday, and just as I started wondering on Tuesday whether they received and opened my shipment I received an email indicating they did, they verified the trouble described, and they're sending me a new replacement model.   I later received the tracking information, and it's due to be delivered by end of business today (of course, I'm not home now, through the weekend [g]).

It's sort of amazing I've never had to do this with any of the gear I've had in the past 15 years.   This experience was painless and it went just as one would think it should.   Go figure [g].    I give kudos to Miguel and Olympus, though I have to realize this is a service set up for the pro line just introduced, and not the usual service channel.

Weather Sealing:

While I explained this to Miguel from the start, I asked again if the switch failure may have been influenced by my actions.   The snow would build up around the dials and switch, melt a little and then freeze in place.   At one point both dials were locked up with a light amount of ice, but I could force them free.   What I would do from time to time is give strong puffs with my mouth around the switch an dials to try to blow the buildup away, which worked pretty well.

Miguel suggested while the sealing for water intrusion should normally hold up, they're not meant to endure any pressure which my blowing could have introduced, and that could have pushed a little water through the seal(s?).   I was advised it's better off just to let the camera get wet and not to take any chances by blowing the areas when wet.   I thought as much, but without a picture as to how the switch is sealed I couldn't be sure what happened (or, was it just that 'stuff happens'?). . . well, it confirms my suspicion, and I'm glad that didn't void the warranty.

FWIW.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow