Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sirandar
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Adobe Elements 9 to Lightroom 5.3 ===> My experience
7 months ago

Overall I don't like Adobe much with their intrusive methods of updating software and their not so good record of patching bugs BUT when I bought a new camera I noticed that Elements 9 couldn't really handle its raw files in any useful way.  It seemed the only way was to convert them all to DNG. I was a little miffed at this but I guess Elements is pretty cheap on sale and Adobe needs to make profit.

Where I was coming from:

Elements 9 with a fairly large library completely tagged an stable. Elements 9 had a lot of bugs that were never fixed but I learned what works and in the end I was satisfied with Elements. This issues that never got resolved were with laggy performance on my E-450 CPU laptop especially when making new tags.

The Transition:

Surprisingly there were no major issues upgrading and converting my catalog to Lightroom.  About 30 pictures of 22,000 had messed up dates, which I could only fix after exiting and manually updating the capture date.  Also 8 pictures were in formats Lightroom couldn't handle so I converted them.

Performance:

On desktop both Elements and Lightroom were snappy

On my E-450 CPU laptop I expected Lightroom to lag more but the opposite was true. It starts up faster and is significantly more responsive.  Best there is no 15-20 sec lag creating new tags/keywords with Lightroom.

Layout:

It took a lot of looking to find some features but everything from the Elements Organizer seems to there in Lightroom except the photo date strip (which never seems to work as expected in Elements anyway)

Lightroom absolutely blows Organizer out of the water in the ability to view and edit files right in the library view.  The controls actually work and do something useful as opposed to "auto smart fix" in Elements which was always a gamble.

Lightroom displayed and handled my raw files from my new camera seemlessly right out of the box.

I love that you can hide most of the crap you don't use in LR

World view seems to be bugged as some of my pics ended up in Africa.... My camera doesn't have a GPS anyway.

Editing and Developing:

Presets =  great  .... reminds me of Raw Shooter

Control =  The post-processing options for raw files work very well and I still have Elements 9 for more heavy edits and the integration of LR and Elements seems stable and easy.

Conclusion:

Did Adobe actually write this software? ....  After fighting with Elements for years it seems inconceivable that it works so well.  And LR seems to have real updates.

Olympus E-450
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow