XT-1 - not as impressed as everybody else.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
Re: XT-1 - not as impressed as everybody else.
In reply to shigzeo, 10 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

justin_time wrote:

Well I was really looking forward to X-T1 based on reviews.
But I am not enthused due to ergonomic deficiencies:

- the EV comp dial is too big and edge not chamfered enough. So its uncomfortable to hold camera / get chafing on index finger. It maybe my method of holding camera needs to be adjusted, but on X-E1/2 I had got into the habit of index finger reaching of EV comp dial to shutter.
- most buttons are recessed/too small. especially the 4 way controller.
- there is a small lip on LHS of LCD to allow it to be tilted. Unfortunately it catches side of my nose. It maybe noticeable as its not rangefinder style (EVF on left) that I have got used to. Also I notice the OMD SLR style cameras EVF sticks out further at back.
But I do like the EVF.

The EV dial has some problems that earlier X cameras did not. Namely, it is harder to adjust with a thumb than with two fingers and forces the user to use two fingers rather than a thumb.
I don't understand what you mean with the EV comp dial to shutter.

Buttons are too small/recessed. The four-way controller is poorly fit to thumb navigation.

All flip screens cause problems for noses.

No mirrorless camera apart from the X-Pro 1 is even remotely akin to a rangefinder. Rangefinder digital cameras such as the Espson RD1 and the Leica Ms, are. But that is because they are rangefinders. If you use an XE-1, the only thing remotely close to a rangefinder is the position of the viewing piece. But the design and functionality is far closer to an Olympus Pen SLR than any rangefinder, ever.

The EVF is good enough for a lot of use, but shows, still, that there is a long way to go until the OVF is replaced. For casual stuff and AF lenses, it is mostly good enough, or is completely able to replace the OVF, but for fast-paced and critical work against bright backgrounds (among other things), it is far and away from perfect. But it's getting there.

I totally dig the X-t1, warts and all.

Note, he said "rangefinder style".

Rangefinder style is only referring to a style of camera, not the function. It helps identify the shape of a camera. In this case, a rectangular camera with the viewfinder in the upper left hand corner (facing the back of the camera).

SLR style is used when referring to cameras such as the X-T1, A7/r and OMD-E-Mx cameras. In this case, it's referring to a viewfinder hump in the top middle of the camera. It is not to insinuate that the camera has reflex mirror system.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow