X-Trans advantages - fact or fiction ?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,790Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Trans advantages - fact or fiction ?
In reply to nick_webster, 10 months ago

nick_webster wrote:

I used a NEX 5n and X-E1 the other day back to back and I have to say I didn't find any real difference between the RAWs proceeded via Aperture. Lack of AA filter is supposed to provide more detail - but I don't see any. It it weren't for the EXIF data I doubt if I could tell one from the other.

I don't shoot much that would show moire so can't fairly compare that aspect.

To be clear I find both excellent - if not identical in output

Has anyone else seen any differences compared with other 16MP APS sensors - in RAW, I'm not talking about each manufacturer's jpg engines.

Not trying to stir up hard feelings, I'm genuinely curious. It might be that Aperture isn't best optimised for Fuji's RAWs, but then the same may also be said for it's renderings of Sony's cameras

Nick

Can't say that I have tested cameras back to back. I do know that Nikon is producing at least one model of their cameras without an AA filter as an option. The purpose of this was to provide for recording greater detail in the subject. When I inquired how Nikon was getting around the moire effects the filters are designed to combat, I was told they use software correction when it arises.

Fuji's method was to use the non-standard, non-Bayer color filter array on the sensor. Different solutions; similar results. As others have pointed out, the effects are subtle and can easily go unnoticed if you don't go looking to figure out which is which. To be honest, I don't worry about it.

Besides the knobs that I like, and the Menu layout Fuji came up with, the thing I like the most about the Fuji cameras has been the company's dedication to flushing out their new system with a large range of top quality lenses. These go a long way toward producing the sharp, detailed images the cameras capture; far more than the act of removing the AA filters.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow