T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,490Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 / D610 - A camera for the masses
In reply to fotolopithecus, 10 months ago

fotolopithecus wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Can't get into replying to the troll.

Thing is a D610 is a camera for the masses. Same as the VW bug was in it's day, a 6 cyl Mustang as opposed to a V8, a 600cc snowmobile.

They are not meant to be the best of anything. Just an affordable option for those that can't / won't spend the money on the top tier ones, or don't need the feature set of them. Same goes for household appliances, furniture, computers, clothing, and just about anything else you can buy.

Affordable, reasonable amount of features, never top of the line. Nothing wrong with that. And a perfect camera for those whose requirements match the features offered. High enough mp for most, good DR, light weight, U1 and U2 modes, reasonable AF.

Hardly required a thread insulting those that bought it.

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

For myself I couldn't care less whether the D600/D610 are cameras for the masses as long as they're good. Looking at dxomark shows the D610 to be the equal of any other dslr in the most important IQ parameters. Where it sacrifices to more expensive models is in areas such as ultimate auto-focus, and build quality, neither of which mean a rats rear to me. The camera will be obsolete long before any of that is relevant. I was one who use too buy only top end models until it occurred to me that digital changes so quickly that the bullet proof brick you buy today will be inferior to a cheaper model in two years or less. If you're a working pro, and need bullet proof construction because you hammer nails with your camera, or need the best auto-focus performance because of the kind of photography you do, then by all means get a D800, or D4 etc. In pure IQ terms though the D600/D610 is every bit as good, and better than those other cameras, and for my type of photography that's all that matters.

All of the above puts you in what I'm referring to as "the masses" of full frame Nikon purchasers.It has to be good, doesn't have to be top of the line, you're requirements are not ultimate build quality and AF. Good IQ. Saves a few bucks. My point of the thread was a rebuttal of Robert saying it was cheap, plasticky feel, not excelling at anything.

Personally, and I haven't mentioned it in this thread but I shoot, D4, D800e, D700 and a D7000 for on job sites. I had two D600s for short periods that I bought in packages and flipped them. Nothing wrong with them, but they certainly weren't going to replace my, at the time, D800. But just a general, good all around camera at a good price point ( relative to other FF )bodies. As I said, a camera for the masses. Within the Nikon current full frame lineup ( before someone else pipes in that a Samsung Galaxy is - or whatever)

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow