ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dannybgoode
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?
Ditching a dSLR for fixed lens compacts
10 months ago

Hi all

Just looking for opinions, in particular from anyone who has swapped out their dSLR for a range of fixed lens compacts.

I do love landscape photography but very recently (due to time limitations imposed by a baby) have been getting into street / urban.

I currently have a Sony A77 with the kit 16-50mm on it (never seen any reason to have anything else to be honest for what I shoot) and have just purchased a Ricoh GRD IV and a Sigma DP2M as the Sony is a pig to lug around the city and attracts too much attention!

I took the GRD IV out yesterday and was really pleasantly surprised at how people just assumed I was a tourist taking snaps and have given the DP2M a run out the other day and particularly for static urban shots it is deadly.

I am blown away by the IQ on both cameras and can fully appreciate the logic behind having a lens completely matched to a sensor as is the case for both these cameras.

So street, urban and still doing a bit landscape when I get chance I am toying with the idea of selling the A77 and buying say a DP1M or Ricoh GR, maybe an X100 (or X100S) and possibly a DP3M for when I need a bit of reach.

Final camera for the bag at some point would be something like an RX100 for when I just need a P&S with the ability to change the focal length (nightclubs, days out with the baby etc).

I generally know what I will be going out to shoot so can pick a couple of cameras to take with me accordingly and even if going on holiday packing the full set wouldn't take much room.

My main concern is handling - I do like having the heft of the A77 sometimes but is this something I would soon get over?

I reckon the IQ of the cameras is such that I will be the limiting factor when it comes ot how good the shots look...

-- hide signature --
 dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow