Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,862
Like?
F*** you, Spotted Harrier. :P
7 months ago

Went down to the cliffs tonight and our neighbourhood Spotted Harrier was chasing pigeons again. This doesn't happen often. I think the last time I saw this was April 2013.

The way this bird works is when there's a good breeze along the cliffs it will fly low along the cliffs, looking for pigeons and other prey that isn't paying attention. After a few kilometres it will fly back downwind and start again, so usually you'll get a couple of opportunities. However, it also keeps its distance from people, whenever possible.

I got a few shots on its first pass, but it kept its distance. I figured I had about 30 minutes before it began its next pass, so I kept an eye out for it. You can trace its progress by watching the pigeons react, because at a distance it's very hard to spot the harrier itself.

I set myself up on a point on the cliffs just upwind of the carpark, guessing that the harrier would get fairly close to that outcrop while it sought the wind that it lost crossing the carpark.

I spotted it a few hundred meters out, and traced its progress all the way to the carpark. The setting sun had come out moments before and was casting perfect light over the entire scene. The bird approached....approached.....and turned right and flew down the road, right in front of the sun.

F*** you spotted harrier.

First pass.

Posing as a tabletop. (first pass)

"You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point..." (second pass)

Turns, and flies straight for the sun!!!

Not a harrier

Also not a harrier. Nice light though.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow