Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tobenama
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Looking for a 50 mm prime for Sony A7r
6 months ago

I´m looking for a fast 50 mm prime for my Sony A7r. I already have some 50-58 mm manual lenses, but these seem to have flare problems when taking pictures wide open in the dark. Street and car lights for example have halos on them unless I stop the lens to about f2.8.

Currently I´ve been thinking about the Voigtländer 50 f1.1 and the Sony FE 55 f1.8. The Voigtländer would be more future proof, since I believe I´d be able to use it 20 years from now. The Sony on the other hand is limited to Sony cameras, isn´t exactly very fast (though not slow either) and while being modern autofocus lens, it lacks OSS which would help the f1.8 limitation a bit. Both lenses are in the same price category in Europe.

From tests I know that the Sony lens has excellent sharpness and overall image quality. At f1.8 it´s just a bit slow for available light photography (i.e. without flash). During the winter it´s pitch black outside from about 15:30 to 9:30 and the day isn´t exactly very bright either. The Voigtländer should be able to take pictures without cranking up the ISO even during dark hours, but being f1.1 and manual focus, taking sharp pictures is no easy task.

Do you have first hand experience with these lenses and the A7r? Have you seen halos over bright lights during nighttime? How easy or difficult the Voigtländer is to focus with the A7r and is it sharp wide open when focused properly? Do you know any alternative lenses I might try?

Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 50mm F1.1 Nokton
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow