Why is D700 $500 More than D800?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is D700 $500 More than D800?
In reply to Fotoav8r, 10 months ago

I'd been meaning to reply to your lighting thread ... meanwhile the D700 is a superb choice up to about 3200 ISO (based on personal use and use of a friend of mine who also owns a D800 and leans towards the D700 for his low-light work). That being said, when I was looking to ad a second body last year, I rented a D600, contemplated the D800 and bought a used D3S. It's really useful (again in my use) up to @ 6400 ISO. Recently I replaced the D700 with a Df (I'd have bought a D4 last year had it been less costly and more available). Really nice 6400 ISO, surprisingly good 12800 ISO and usable above that.

Based on what you're trying to do (well-exposed dancers while showing the ambiance of the club) I'd be more concerned with fast wides, ie the 24 1.4 or 28 1.8. Those, however, I have no experience with.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow