Forum ProPosts: 18,199
Like?
Re: Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout
In reply to Sierra Dave, 7 months ago

Sierra Dave wrote:

s_grins wrote:

amtberg wrote:

s_grins wrote:

"50mm f/1.4 Nikon G lens (wide open) attached to: 1) the Light Cannon by Vizelex; 2) the Lens Turbo by Zhongyi; 3) the R.J. Focal Reducer; and 4) the Speed Booster by Metabones."

Why such a simple thing has to be so complex? Did you have a problem with selecting just a equal M43 lens?

I'm still can't fathom the depth of idea behind setup

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

Umm, you seem to have completely missed what these focal reducers do. They are designed to adapt full frame or (some) APS-C lenses to smaller formats by shrinking the image circle, which has the added benefit of reducing the effective aperture of the lens. You couldn't attach an MFT lens to a focal reducer because it would make the image circle smaller than the sensor.

Well, if I understand you right, speed booster is a focal reducer, and it takes from FL and,shrinking an image circle, adds to an F-stop making lens faster.

Am I right? If I'm, than all these

1) the Light Cannon by Vizelex; 2) the Lens Turbo by Zhongyi; 3) the R.J. Focal Reducer; and 4) the Speed Booster by Metabones."

are just different brands of the same FL reducer, and there are 4 different setups. OP wants to compare different brands, which may make a sense.

Focal reducers are not all the same any more than 1.4X teleconverters or 50mm f/1.4 lenses are all the same. They use different optical formulas, glass and all the rest. And clearly, they yield very different results.

Thank goodness we have some sense - they are not all inferior nut an bolt replica clones of the "real thing" but different build techniques that may of may not work the same.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow