Pocket Wizard Plus III - High Speed Sync??

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Re: Pocket Wizard Plus III - High Speed Sync??
In reply to Eric Lawton, 6 months ago

Eric Lawton wrote:

Hello,

I am just getting into using a lot of off camera flash, so bought the new pocket wizard plus III units, and I am having one heck of a time trying to get them to work with high speed sync.

The PW plus III's are fantastic little units, but I think I am just missing something here. I am using a Canon 5D MK III with a Canon 580 EX II, and I have the "HSS" button activated on my speedlite, but anytime I go over 1/200 shutter speed, I get that annoying black line in my image where the flash isn't keeping up with my shutter. I am shooting the camera in Manual mode and one PW is in transmit mode while the other PW is in Receive mode. I am not sure what I am missing, but I'm sure thus is user error...

At this point, I am wondering if these pocket wizards even support high speed sync with my setup, but I sure hope so! If not, I just screwed myself out of a few hundred bucks.

Help and pro advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much for all your time reading this and helping me out!

I read through the PW+III specs and didn't find any mention of the Hyper Sync features in the their TT line of triggers. It's the Hyper Sync sync features that let the TT system users double normal sync with speedlights and do an auto cross over into full HSS.

If the feature is there and just not being marketed at this point I think you'd find it in the PW update utility where in the TT line I can set the Hyper to HSS crossover point.

When you run the TT line up into HSS you set the camera to TV and the flash to normal E-TTL (without HSS) and the trigger takes care of telling the camera you want HSS.

The other thing about the PW line, they don't want your flash set as a slave or master. It's just a flash that should think it's still on the camera hot shoe.

The fact that there is not a Canon or Nikon version may reveal there is less system integration in the design.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur
5DMKII - 5DMKII Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!
PW MiniTT1/AC3 w/ 5X FlexTT5, AC9 & PowerMc2

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow