Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
Why should it have a built in flash?
In reply to KennethKwok, 8 months ago

KennethKwok wrote:

I use D700 for family photos.

APSC is sufficient for that. I don't use my D700 for family!

I regret that I did not buy the D800 due to the initial bugs. That's despite that I don't use the left outermost AF all the time. Now, D800 is about 2 years, and it seems a bit late to get it.

I'm still using my D700.  It's 4 years old and it does everything I need it to do... did I mention I bought it used from someone that owned it for 2 years prior?

Work has been fine, and I wanted to award myself.

Congratulations!

I always wonder about the D3, D4 series.
A lot say Professional is different. A lot says D3 is a different beast to D700 in terms of AF, etc. They say I bought a DATSUN (D700), and thought it was a Ferrari (D3). In a way, people pay so much more for D3. There should be reasons.

Some say D700 and D3 AF are the same.

What I do not accept is no built in flash in D3 / D4.

There were no built in flash in any SLRs during the pre-EOS film era.

A D3 user said he has a SB-400 permanently attached.

A bit odd… but okay. A SB-700/910 is more common for a pro level camera. The SB-400 lacks all of the features and the power that make the latter flashes so versatile.

I thought about that.... But that makes a big D4s bigger. And I think a D700 with built in flash

is more sturdy than a SB400 on D3. And need to take the SB400 on and off the D3.... unless

the camera bag is so huge to accommodate the D3 + SB400 + Lens.

????!

That's when my mobile phone has a useful LED Flash (for torch, and for photos)

So is the D700 flash.  It's a good emergency light source if I don't have my SB-400.

How can I tell myself that this HIGH END professional camera D4s has less than Samsung Mobile phone? Fill flash is so important!

The pop-up flash output is very weak. In bright sunlight it is insufficient to fill shadows unless you are extremely close to the subject.  It is too limiting.

What do D3, D4 owners think? Are there no such times, that a little fill flash may help?

Does the built in flash really compromise the "Professional" image of the D3, D4 so much?
My D700 built in flash has not died yet...

I see more pros using the D700 than the D3 and D4.  Some use the flash to control other Speedlights.  It's can actually be quite useful for a professional wanting a very portable and lightweight lighting setup.

Personally, I shun using the internal flash because it draws from the same battery as your camera.  Having an external flash will let you take many more pictures, plus the time between shots will be much shorter.  This is very important when shooting at a fast paced event… you don't want to be changing your batteries in the middle of it or waiting for the power to cycle up.  A high mounted flash also produces a more pleasing image than a flash that is down at the lens axis (IMHO).

I admit I am not a professional photojournalist. But doesn't a big SB910 pull on the hot shoe if

they are violently banged towards each other? Can't the hotshoe be damaged?

Yes it can.  But like a soldier, you take care of your gun because that is what your life depends on.  Shame on you if you are so careless to damage your camera!

If I buy a $6000 camera, why would I want to use the worse possible flash with it?  If you are uncompromising with quality, shouldn't that also extend to the light… the heart of photography itself?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow