Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,410
Like?
Re: Given your clear vested interest in the results......
In reply to dougjgreen1, 8 months ago

dougjgreen1 wrote:

amtberg wrote:Financial interest is certainly a theoretical possibility, assuming that Dr. Caldwell gets a cut of each unit sold as opposed to having been hired strictly as a design consultant. Of course another equally plausible possibility is that he's simply proud of the good work that he did and perhaps a little chapped at all of the copycat companies who took his basic idea but executed it poorly due to their relative lack of expertise.

There's no evidence that two of the competing products were poorly executed. They may simply be slightly less good because they are built to steeper cost constraints. What probably IS true is that they are knock-offs, in the sense that they did not do the basic design research, but rather, copied the existing Metabones product and manufactured it more cheaply.

Semantics, I think.  Whether they are less well designed or more cheaply constructed, the bottom line is that they don't perform nearly as well.

And BTW, it is normally the case that a someone in the OP's position might be partly compensated with an equity stake in Metabones, given the fact that it's a start-up, and it is significantly leveraged on the quality of the design work that goes into their products - this is true whether he is a contractor or a direct principle employee of Metabones.

Well, we're just speculating here.  But as a factual matter Metabones existed long before the Speed Booster was developed, so I don't think it qualifies as a startup.  They've been making high quality adapters for quite some time.

In any case, Dr. Caldwell has been a respected optical designer for 30 years and I doubt he would tarnish his reputation by falsifying such a comparison, which could be tested quite easily by anyone with the wherewithal to repeat it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow