Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PanosR
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
New to photography
7 months ago

I just got this camera with the kit lens 18-140mm. I think it's one of the best entry-level cameras and even something more than that i'd say.

I had to choose between Nikon D7100, Canon 70d and Nikon D5300. In a nutshell,

Nikon D7100 has more "pro" features that i wouldn't need. Like built in motor, robust quality, etc. Sure i would love to have the much higher battery capacity and more buttons but i can live with that. No big deal for me.

Canon 70D.. well, if i'd prefer videography than photography i would choose this camera. Nah more like i would save some cash and go for the Panasonic GH3

So i chose the D5300.

But DON'T consider the WIFI or GPS feature! They are useless and battery eaters. GPS is not locking fast enough, sure you can set it to stay locked with satellites even when the camera goes to sleep mode but that's going to eat so much battery, about 20-30%. You will need secondary battery.

WIFI is kinda useless.. you can only shoot or see pictures via your smartphone. I only use the WIFI for the remote shoot when i need it.
Also you should go and test this camera before you buy it because of its size. If you have big hands they may not fit well on it, again nothing to worry that much, i have very big hands and i have used to it.

Other than that, it's perfect for my needs. Next buy is a prime lens 35mm and a wide tokina 11-16mm

PanosR's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5300 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow