Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,136Gear list
Like?
so was it your job to ...
In reply to brian, 10 months ago

brian wrote:

Since Metabones released the first general purpose m4/3 focal reducer in June 2013 several more products have appeared on the market. To my knowledge, there haven't been any systematic high resolution comparison tests of these focal reducers, so I decided to shoot a test chart and put together a matrix of 100% crops.

The matrix below shows 100% crops from the center, left side, right side, and all four corners of test chart images taken with a 50mm f/1.4 Nikon G lens (wide open) attached to: 1) the Light Cannon by Vizelex; 2) the Lens Turbo by Zhongyi; 3) the R.J. Focal Reducer; and 4) the Speed Booster by Metabones. The test chart used is a standard Resolving Power Chart available at low cost from Edmund Optics: http://www.edmundoptics.com/testing-targets/test-targets/resolution-test-targets/resolving-power-chart/1665 . Note that the chart illumination wasn't perfectly uniform, and was a little brighter on the right side. In each case, focus was adjusted for maximum contrast in the center of the field. The camera used was a Panasonic G6.

DISCLAIMER: I'm the designer of the Speed Booster optics.

-- hide signature --

Brian Caldwell

... spread the Vaseline on the competition? Or was that hired out?

Hyuk hyuk hyuk ... kidding ...

Looks like you know your stuff.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow