Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,795Gear list
Like?
Adobe still has trouble getting Sony colors right
10 months ago

I've been using Adobe Lightroom since version 2 and while I am mostly happy with the product, one thing that has always bothered me is that it seems to have issues reproducing certain colors correctly with Sony cameras. See the images below (all from RAW):

This is what Lightroom 5 produces with the default settings and the sharpening set to 0.

This is what Sony's IDC produces with the default settings and creative style set to Standard.

This is what Sony's IDC produces with the default settings and creative style set to Neutral.

Notice how Lightroom seems to have trouble reproducing the reds.  While it appears it extracts more detail out of the feathers and body, the reds just look off (maybe veering closer to orange).

Here is another version of the image above from Lightroom 5 that has been edited and camera profile was used that was found on the web (supposed to represent the A77's Standard mode).

Lightroom 5 with a custom camera profile used, plus other tweaks.

This one seems to be a little closer to the Sony profiles, but still a little off.  If it looks too punchy, I apologize.  I was trying to get the red in the cardinal to appear as close as I remember it.  The bird was really a strong red.

This isn't the first time I have had this issue either.  I have had some issues with certain skin tones as well as flowers that have various shades of the are in the orange, red, brown range (orange lilies, for example with brown tipped stems).

Has anyone else noticed this?  If so, have you found any workarounds?

I will say that this is an area where DxO Optics and Capture One performed better at.  Unfortunately, that is about the only thing I found that I liked about them better than Lightroom (that and DxO's lens profiles).  Their workflows I didn't really care for.

It's a shame the Sony's IDC is such a terrible editor when compared to these others, at least it gets the colors right.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow