how can the NEX auto-focus miss these shots?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Caris
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
Re: how can the NEX auto-focus miss these shots?
In reply to Sir Punk, 9 months ago

Sir Punk wrote:

Yes I always press the trigger half-way and wait for focus confirmation. I have been doing it for 10 years now.

I have had the 5r for over a year now, I guess I haven't learned its quirks yet. I had a panasonic lx3 before and never missed one portrait shot.

Contrary to most previous suggestions ( face detect on or centre spot and re-compose ),  I found the flexible spot focus point the most reliable in situations like yours.

You have a touch screen on your 5R - use it to select the face and in 95% of the times it will be in focus. If you are close enough, touch the eyes or if you are further away like in your 1st shot, just select the whole face with the flexible spot point and it won't focus on the background. I use this method when I have people/faces as subjects, otherwise centre spot for architectural/city shots and sometimes multi-point for landscapes. When I want to focus on a small detail  ( especially off- centre ) I always use the flexible spot ( and if I have time to double check the accuracy, I use DMF for confirmation ).

Obviously, you could simply use MF, in fact sometimes it's quicker than to double-check the AF accuracy via DMF on NEX!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow