Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones? Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,058
Re: Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones?
In reply to wyldberi, 10 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

It's a software issue programmed into the EXR image processor.

Do you mean it is hard coded into the processor, or is the code in firmware?

... and the same "glitch" was present in the X-E1 and X-Pro1.

Most people believe this is not case, and apparently, it was done differently in the X-E1, which resulted in less loss of skin details and more realistic texture and colours. The problem seems to be that the X-E2 renders skin in a less pleasing way at very high ISO settings.

In absolute terms images taken at ISO6400 with the X-E2 are nice, but the X-E1 was just a little better. Of course there are workarounds, but those workarounds are not convenient for all.

Some people complain as they thought they had it better before. See how you go with a toddler when you take away from him/her the half eaten chocolate bar you had just given him/her 10 minutes before.

I am not terribly concerned about this since I recently read the interview with a Fuji executive where he said Fuji had done this because this is how most people like it in Asia. However, they realise that it was not everyone's cup of tea, and they are now thinking about a solution. There is hope ...

This is quite relevant to me as I use the X-E2, and shoot lots of pub concerts with really badly lit places, and only regularly use ISO3200 and 6400, and I only use SOOC JPEG output.

The workarounds are not really suitable for me as I cannot put more light on, don't want to use a flash most of the time, and don't want to PP RAW either. I just want to get the optimum performance out of the camera at hand.

I used to have the X-E1 and now I have the X-E2, but I cannot see a lot of difference between the too. It is not a deal breaker for me, as I am OK with the X-E2 in many respects.

However, improvements are always welcome.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
NRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow