Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones? Locked

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Re: Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones?
In reply to mistermejia, 6 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

Is it Fuji itself ?? Or could this be a SABOTAGE thing from the sensor maker itself??

Does Fuji actually make this sensors, or do they buy them from Sony or someone else? I am just curious because i CAN'T believe that the jpegs are changing so much with the new sensors, i couldn't possibly believe that Fuji is just bypassing or ignoring this skin tone issue.

I just moved from nikon to get away from plastic looking skin tones, and Fuji's new cameras are all coming out like this now??? I don't get it.

The so-called problem has nothing to do with the sensor.

It's a software issue programmed into the EXR image processor. It's associated with the amount of Noise Reduction that gets applied to the JPEG images the processor produces, distorting flesh tone regions in images shot at high ISO settings. It is not present in RAW files, and the same "glitch" was present in the X-E1 and X-Pro1. If you shoot portraits at sensible ISO's, the problem doesn't exist, and if you do have problems with the pictures you take, use RAE files.

Many of those making this into an issue seem to be the same advocates for using RAW files instead of JPEG's. That should make a person stop and consider what type of agenda is going on; at least, it causes me to do so.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
NRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow