Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,578Gear list
Like?
Re: Safety in NYC and Central Park at night
In reply to local novice, 9 months ago

local novice wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

local novice wrote:

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is I have read that people with tripods draws attention from law enforcement in Dumbo and I was curious if this was true for Cental Park.

For streets and public parks, it's the difference between shooting for yourself, with or without a few friends at your side, or taking over a portion of the public space to stage a shooting event (like a wedding, model shoot). Wedding photographers and film students with accessories (lighting, reflectors, screens, wardrobe, any or all of it), no less more ambitious productions, are where permits come into play. Of course, if you impede traffic of any kind, or are just a nuisance or hazard to general activity about, you can expect to be hassled anywhere.

Private property with public spaces have different liability issues, and they will rightly ask any photographer with a tripod to cease using it on their property, unless permission has been granted by the property's agents with that authority.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

I completely understand. Just want to know what the rules are if any. When in Rome, do as the...

Good points.

For safety at night in NYC and Central Park, do as you would in Rome.

Enjoy your trip.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow