If you could only have one lens, what would it be?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jtr27
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Re: If you could only have one lens, what would it be?
In reply to geoff35, 5 months ago

Sounds like that hypothetical "which one album would you listen to on a desert island" question, which certain individuals, formerly known as "record store geeks" (back when there were record stores) loved answering, if only to demonstrate how insightful, unexpected and profound their answer was.

Thank goodness that "camera geeks" aren't at all like "record store geeks."  

IMO, a far more useful question might be "if you currently have only one lens, and you're ready to buy another lens, what lens should it be?"

And now, having rephrased the question to my satisfaction (if nobody else's), I am still going to resist the urge to give a specific answer.

Because the answer to all these "which camera is better?" and "which lens is best?" and "me or Jimmy - who beats?" questions is always, always, always - it depends.  What kind of photography do you like to do?  How much money can you spend?  Do you make prints?  If so, how large?  Etc, etc, etc.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

But I will say, in my opinion, and yeah it's an opinion... if you own only one lens, say an SEL1855 or the SEL1650, the next lens you buy ought to be a Sigma.  19mm, 30mm, 60mm, take your pick.  They are all outstanding, and they are all unbelievable bargains for the image quality that you get.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow