why give up OVF with MirrorLess camera like Nex

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924Gear list
Like?
Re: Disable image review... (more)
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

I've recently been shooting film for a class. I find it funny how often I've tried to zoom the OVF image while focusing.

I can see areas where OVFs beat EVFs. They certainly consume less power. But I think that once you get beyond habits and what you're used to, EVFs, for mirrorless cameras, are so much better overall than OVFs that Sony didn't find it practical to add an OVF or a hybrid OVF. A plain OVF would probably have appealed to less people than it disappointed, and a hybrid would probably have brought in less additional customers than would be needed to justify the added cost.

If you really want an OVF for composition (not focusing), you can buy rangefinder viewfinders from Leica or Voigtlander and attach them to the hot shoe on NEX-6, A6000, A7, etc cameras that have the MI shoe. You can also get a cold shoe add-on for older NEX cameras and attach an OVF there.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow