Forum ProPosts: 10,411Gear list
Like?
Re: It is all about marketing
In reply to nevercat, 5 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

isvana wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

I actually see [A6000] more as a humpless, APS-C A7.

To me, a long time N7 user who still picks my N7 over any other camera (and yes, I returned the A7), the N7 is mostly about TriNavi and mag alloy case. ...

...Sometime in the next month or so might we get the "a7000" which would be a premium bodied NEX6 with similar controls, all the a6000 goodies plus a few more, an uprated sensor, high resolution evf and a price point higher than the a6000.

Wishful thinking indeed... from a "product planning" point of view the "premium E mount camera at $1.5K-$2K price point" moved from NEX7 to A7 (notice the similarity in the numbering...). A6000 is *mostly* an upgrade from the NEX6 but the downgraded viewfinder is probably for cost / positioning reasons.

If Sony had any balls they would come clean and announce their model progressions to their customers, such as "A7 replaces NEX-7 as the ..." (assuming the NEX7 is discontinued). I guess Sony are playing at being "inscrutable Japanese company" rather than "market leader".

An A7000 would indeed be nice. Maybe it will come. Sony may instead do an A3 (A7 with APS-C sensor). And/or an A2000 (A3000 with 1" RX100 sensor). Etc. Depends on whatever corporate policy is. One thing for sure, the latter policy isn't "keeping satisfied NEX-7 customers happy with an upgraded premium rangefinder style camera"!

I think that the plethora of models is just electronic goods marketing, more than just old fashioned camera marketing.

We saw the same thing with computers where people "knew" what the "286", "386", "486" progression was until it was switched first to "pentium" then an increasing slew of arcane porcessor numbers until only the worldly computer-wise had any idea of what was driving that box the salesman was trying to sell you. Sure the specifications are written on ticket cards in geek-speak but only a true geek would know the bits that are deliberately left off so as not to frighten the horses.

In reality when the first flush of rapid technical advancement wears off the retailers (especially) don't want choosy customers picking off the juicy best item/bargains in their stock.They wish to sell all their stock to less well informed buyers.

Hence Sony plays the mix and match camera game. New model numbering is introduced and there is no obvious logical model upgrade progression - just "cameras" and the specifciations that are "plus this minus that" are going to make cameras ever harder to chose. This is a deliberate act by their marketing department to get more model varrieties into stores. It is a known principle of marketing that the brand with the most showspace allocated gets the biggest share of the market. One of the ways to do this is to introduce a sickening number of model variations.

Once the consumer is confused enough it will be back to buying the camera that the salesman suggested rather than really knowing which one is "the best".

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

This all sounds very logical and well informed, there is only one thing wrong with it: it looks like Sony will have less models, as it is very questionable if Sony will come with a succesor of the Nex 5 and the Nex 7. So up tll now you had the A3000, the A5000, the Nex5t, the nex 6 and the Nex 7. from now on it will be the A3000, the A5000 and the A6000. So instead of 5 cameras we have e to choose from...Maybe (I hope it realy) I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

I do. The a6000 is clearly positioned to replace NEX-5R/T but by virtue of having an EVF, it also replaces NEX-6. NEX-7 replacement is pending. That will be the a7000.

Recall the images of a5000 that was supposedly launched as NEX-5T a few months ago. Sony wanted to place a5000 a step below NEX-5R, not as its replacement. So, NEX-5T(emp) as I like to call it, came about as a stop gap model which was basically 5R with NFC added and 16-50 as the kit zoom.

This was to address the transition to the revised naming convention as well. The next launch (or two) was a big one. This was placed in the vicinity of NEX-7: Alpha 7. While not a direct replacement, the Alpha 7 would have appealed to many NEX-7 owners.

After that, Sony went to the entry level model: Alpha 5000. And now Alpha 6000. This allows Sony to delay NEX-7 replacement. Yet another launch would have put too many new models at the same time.

I am sure Sony would also like to build a customer base on FF as well, so a7 provides that start. Later this year, a5000, a6000, a7 and a7r will be older news. The competition will launch something of their own, and at that point Sony will likely have a7000 as its card to play... with rumors about a7 update/replacement (although I think being a higher model, it may not see annual updates).

Its about spreading the floor. We could potentially see a3100 and a7000 in 4-5 months. It might also give Sony additional development/tuneup time for something better than a6000 has to offer in terms of AF and features.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow