Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones? Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Re: Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, 10 months ago

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Yes. But how often do people take pictures at ISO 6400. It compromises image quality for ALL cameras. I just saw a great interview with Joel Grimes where he said he tries to stay below ISO 400.

That's great for Joel. It is meaningless advice for people who do shoot at ISO6400. That ISO value was put on the camera to be used. Further, OLDER X cameras COULD shoot at ISO6400 and not produce wax figures. Your spin helps protect this exceedingly poor decision from Fujiilm.

I'll say it again. If you are bothered by it, and plan on shooting a lot of jpegs at ISO 6400 don't buy the camera. However, for me it is something I can live with. All cameras and life for that matter is a series of compromises. I like the Fuji compromises better than I like most other brand compromises. If I didn't I'd be carrying a different camera around.

So what is gained by this compromise? The X-E1 did not require sledgehammer amounts of noise reduction that reduced people's skin to a melted wax appearance.

What was gained by losing the X-E1's ability?

The difference is hardly "sledgehammer." I have both cameras and did many tests. It is a noticeable difference when crossing over from ISO 3200 to ISO 6400 but hardly "sledgehammer."

Having said that, would I like it to be less? Yes. However, I'd also like my d__n Nikon D800 PDAF focus system to not require tweaking for every lens and every focal length. I'd like it's live view to actually focus as reliably as an $80 point and shoot. I wanted my D600's metering to not get so darn confused everytime a bright object entered the frame. I want my darn RX1 to focus at all sometimes. I want my RX1 to understand what slowsynch means and to not blowout photos with it's flash. I want my Olympus EM1 to not sharpen the cr_p out of every darn thing making shadow recovery that much more difficult.

Lots of straw men there that have nothing to do with Fujifilm's muffed JPEG engine.  Irrelevant.

P.S. What was gained was much faster and more reliable focus. Much faster response time in general. No, Fuji didn't have to change the jpeg engine the way they did

Which is it?  You just said the compromise was faster autofocus and now you are saying that it didnt need to be made.  This is nothing but pure spin to protect Fujifilm from the consequences of their decision to blast images with noise reduction.

and I wish they didn't. But, overall, I'd still rather shoot with the X-E2 because I get more keepers with it.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
NRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow