Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
A3000 arrived.
8 months ago

$200 including lens. What is what all the bad reviews about this camera? The first impression is pretty darn good! Yes, the EVF is bad. The LCD is all-right, not "crap", and it'll do just fine! LCD does not pull out that's my only real beef with it. Focusing is not all that bad. Bursting is slow-ish, but usable. Video is actually 60 FPS (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Yes, 60i, but every single review I have seen, online, magazines, forums, discussions, online reviews including dpr, imaging resource, everything and everywhere - they ALL misreported the video capability! It is NOT 30 fps wrapping in a 60i container. It is real actual 60i. That is a temporal resolution of 60 frames per second! You can "bob deinterlace" that to 60p, which is what flat panel TVs do automatically. It means it is capable of recording perfectly smooth video. And it has one other big massive advantage. It can record 60i and do it with 1/30 exposure. My A57 records 60p, but can obviously not go longer than 1/60. So the A3000 right there, before anything else, has double the low light advantage! It makes it, to me, at least twice as good as my A57.

The UI seems ok. I'm ok with the dial (have to handle with care though). Focusing seems good. There is micro AF adjust. Lol, on a $200 camera - something A65 owners drool over. I know it's CDAF.

The lens and camera came in in pretty much new condition. It has demo-model written all over it. Not a scratch on it. This camera will likely be my second camera. My main one will be A6000. I'm almost sure I'm selling the A57 and A300. I'm likely going to up my allowances for E lenses. It's making A-mount kind of feel antiquated, at first glance anyway. Close comparisons will provide assurance if that's correct or not.

But at first glance, for $200, WAUW ! I mean, hello ! I need something that works better like the A6000, but surely, this is very doable as a backup, and for my wife. She'll finally be able to make video again when I'm "hogging" the main camera.

I guess I'm going to need another 18-55 lens...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow