D700 amateur user wonders why D4s has no built in flash

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 amateur user wonders why D4s has no built in flash
In reply to KennethKwok, 8 months ago

A tiny on-board flash that can not be used because it produces red-eye, creates shadows, is blocked by some lenses.... kinda worthless.  I use the built in flash in commander mode and powered off.  The SU800 is the solution for controlling flash on a D4 body, or the SB800 has a commander mode as well.

Having the flash on my DSLR is not really a problem and having the commander mode is handy, but I can appreciate why many do not like it. So IMO the commander mode is useful but the flash.... no.  If it was not included I would not miss it.  If I used my camera under harsher conditions I would resent having a flimsy flash and I am surprised more do not break.  From a pro perspective I can understand why a built in flash is a liability.

This is a funny topic to complain about.  If you have the money to get a pro level bulk monster like the D4 I would think durability would be a top priority which leaves the flimsy on camera flash behind.  I am kinda surprised I have never broken my built in flash and I use commander mode often.  My first DSLR was a D1x and I shot professionally and never missed a built in flash as I generally used the fine Sb800.

If you are a working pro buy a D4s/D3s.  If your a weekend warrior who feels a built in flash is necessary buy a D800,  or D600.  The D4s is a great tool, with a heavy, big, pro body made to take the abuse of daily use and blow through the shots when necessary.   I can think of a few gripes related to the D4 but lack of a built-in flash, LOL!

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow