Decisions, Decisions: 10-24mm zoom or 14mm prime

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?
Re: Decisions, Decisions: 10-24mm zoom or 14mm prime
In reply to jrk, 10 months ago

You don't mention the lenses you already have. For example, if you have the 18-55, then there is significant overlap between the 10-24 & your current lens. But if all you have is a 35mm (for example) and favor wide angle shots then the 10-24 might make more sense.

However, I believe the most important factor is to understand if you truly want to shoot ultra-wide. Shooting at 10mm is different than 18, 16, or even 14mm. For example, if you use 10mm to shoot a typical landscape, all you'll get is a very wide view with lots of tiny details, and will likely be an uninteresting composition.

One of the main reasons to shoot at 10mm is to get exaggerated perspective. This means you bring some element in the foreground very close to the lens, to make it look larger than it actually is. It is a very distinct style and either you like it or you don't.

Here's an example of mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39102910@N07/9768773266/in/set-72157635553959736

I like this style of shooting, but I have to put myself in that mindset.  There are some good write-ups on this technique out there, although I think they overstate the degree of difficulty.

I'd suggest searching on flikr for very wide shots.  If you like what you see, you have something to aspire to and the 10-24 will be a good purchase.  If you are just looking for a good landscape lens, look to the 18 or 14.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow