Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Best Current Full Frame Walk-Around Zoom Lens Option
5 months ago

Greetings, new A7 owner here.  Been in Nikon ecosystem for... ever.  Like many here, I need something more compact/light while still maintaining important features and quality.  The A7/7r fits that bill.

As everyone probably agrees, the biggest A7 shortcomings atm is lack of lens selection.  For me that means the perfect walk around lens when you only want to carry one.  e.g. Travel photography, which is probably my #1 usage.

Nikon, like others, has that sort of lens.  With my D600, the 28-300 3.5/5.6 went everywhere with me.  I want something similar for my A7.  I know I could sit tight and hope we'll see something in a year or two, and I'd imagine a reasonably priced, light weight "super zoom" would be somewhat of a priority as Sony reaches out to the masses with their new cameras.

But what about -right now-?  Any ideas?  From research, it seems my options are:

1. Get a current APS-C e-mount lens and suffer the resolution hit.  Sony has an 18-200 3.5/6.3 that might work.
  2. Get a full frame a-mount lens with adapter.  There is no full frame option here from Sony.  They do have a nice 70-300.  But adding the adapter makes it much less of a walk-around setup.
  3. Get a Nikon mount adapter and use current 18-300.  Tempting, even with the added size.  However, the current adapters don't pass thru electronics.  AF and AE are almost a necessity with travel photography, at least the kind I tend to do.

Option 1 seems my only choice, unless there is a better 3rd party option.  Has anyone here used the A7 in crop mode?  How -big- of a quality hit?

I know I can wait, but was hoping for some suggestions.  Am I missing something?

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow